Friday, November 5, 2010

Men Like You Are Hard To Find

Grandpa,
I love you
Men like you are so very few
I have this picture in my mind
of you so loving and so kind
You helped teach me right from wrong
You made me feel like I belong
I will never forget my summers with you
Listening to the cows go "moo"
"Let's go get a soda" you would say to me
And of course I would agree
You would let me pick out a treat
Or sometimes sit in the driver's seat!
Driving the tractor, playing in the cottonseed
Climbing the haystacks, knowing there's calf's to feed
You taught me about work
Even though I am sure I gave you a smirk
And as I grew, you were still there
Right beside me with me unaware
The feel of your wiskers against my face,
The comfort of your fatherly embrace
The blessings you gave me when I was sad,
It's true for me you were more like my dad
The gentle words you spoke to me
Your deep soothing voice when you were on your knee
I love you Grandpa,
And I know in my heart and mind
Men like you are hard to find

1 comment:

  1. It looks like my previous post did not remain. I think your poem is an honor for your Grandpa, who marked your life and helped you become the woman you are today. :)

    ReplyDelete